Role of Tester in Modern Delivery
Considering the many advantages of having a separate testing/QA team, we must be having tester/QA in the team for modern delivery process.
Testers should be responsible for following items:
- Review Functional Design
- Writing Test Cases
- Support developers in unit testing
- Testing the Features in Dev Instances
- Creating Test Automation Script
- Exploratory Testing in SIT
- Supporting UAT testers in UAT
Testing Activities in Modern Delivery
Testers should do following activities during the various stages of Modern Delivery.
During Sprint Planning
- In sprint planning, a tester should help in picking a user-story from the product backlog for development, Design Review & Test case creation.
- As a tester, he/she should decide how many hours (Effort Estimation) it should take to finish testing for each of selected user stories for development.
- As a tester, he/she should decide how many hours (Effort Estimation) it should take to finish Functional Design Review and Test Case creation for each of selected user stories for Test Case Creation.
- As a tester, he/she should decide how many hours (Effort Estimation) it should take support UAT team.
- As a tester, he/she must know what sprint goals are.
- As a tester, contribute to the prioritizing process.
- Review Design and Write Test Cases for User Stories selected for creating Test Cases.
- Create Query Clarification Work Item for any design related query.
- Support developers in unit testing.
- Test user-story in Dev instance when completed. Manual Test execution will be performed in an instance where both tester and developer will work hand in hand.
- Tester will be responsible for developing automation scripts.
- Perform exploratory testing for all the work items deployed to SIT instance.
- Defects will be logged in Defect Management tool which will be tracked daily. Defects will be conferred and analyzed during the Triage call. Defects will be retested as soon as it is resolved and deployed for testing.
- Send Test Reports to the stakeholders.
- As a tester, he/she attends all daily standup meeting to speak up.
- As a tester, he/ she can bring any backlog item that cannot be completed in the current sprint and put to the next sprint.
- Support for UAT team.
- Executing non-functional testing for approved user stories.
During Sprint Retrospective
- As a tester, he/she will figure out what went wrong and what went right in the current sprint.
- As a tester, he/she identifies lesson learned and best practices.